I am less than a year from turning 40 as of January 2012 and I’ve been thinking a lot about my time on this earth…
– that I may be about 1/2 way through life (If life expectancy is 80)
– How do I want to spend the next 40 years. Is it any different than the first 40
– How can I make the biggest positive impact on the people who’s lives I come in touch with
– What do I need to change to keep my body in optimal health (versus the ease of staying healthy as a young person)
– Where do I want to spend the remaining time?
I don’t know the answers to the above, but I injoy thinking about them, and embracing the change in all of them.
I’ve been asking older people that I have met recently, what they think about being +40 – and any wisdom about it that I might learn from.
Sean, I’m staring down the barrel at 50 and there’s not a damn thing I can do about it. I kind of wish I had my 30 year old body, absolutely, but I feel hugely alive. It’s not like I’ve crested some half life peak and it’s down hill from here, it’s more like, oh, I dunno… you know when you go on a long hike and you reach the first plateau? You can’t see behind you so well but maybe you’re looking forward at the summit you’re trying to reach. It’s all UPHILL and the further you get, the better the view.