Born 1973, in Chicago, Illinois.
Son – Kai
Twin Identical Daughters – Pepper and Blaize
1st few years of life were near the corner of Foster and Western Ave in Chicago. Lots of learning went on there.
Attended Queen of All Saints 1st and 2nd grade.
Attended Lincoln Hall Middle School. Graduated in 1987
Attended Loyola Academy High School. Graduated in 1991
Attended Northern Illinois University. Graduated in 1995 with a degree in General Studies
1 of the 4 years I spent in college, I enrolled at University of Queensland in Brisbane, Australia
I travelled around the world in 1996 and 1997 on $6000 and went overland from UK to India.
Since then, I have travelled around the world a few more times.
I am the Chairthey and Co-Founder of the BootsnAll Travel Network. In 1999 a few friends and I started building the travel community called “BootsnAll” that focused on travel, learning and leaning into the uncomfortable. After lots of ups and downs in building a self-funded and sustainable publishing business, we refocused on Long-Term/Indie Travel in 2011.
As of 2020 and the pandemic, we are re-imagining what our focus for the next 2 decades will be
Starting in 2015 I became heavily involved at helping the Wayfinding Academy get going. I finished my board service including board chair in July of 2020.
I facilitate and lead strategic planning sessions and meetings for a variety of companies and non-profits.
Indie Travel Manifesto (written in 2010 and a bit behind the scenes of why)
Travel Access Project (founded in 2015)
Indie – The World’s 1st RTW Airfare Engine (founded in 2013)
BootsnAll – Perhaps the World’s Best Resource for Long-Term Travelers (founded 1998)
Built WorldCupBlog and TheOffside. It was ranked as 1 of the 50 most powerful blogs in the world by the Guardian. (link) (Sold to SBNation, now Vox Media in 2011)
In December of 2013, BootsnAll Acquired AirTreks
Random About Me
– Played competitive ice hockey from age 6 to age 12.
– I believe that long-term travel is perhaps, one of the best ways to get a boots on the ground education
– Ran 3 marathons
– Delivered Newspapers on a Bicycle Paper Route for almost 3 years in my late 20s.
– Traveled around the world a few times
– I’ve lived on $500/month USD in the USA for 3 years in my 20s as BootsnAll was getting going.
– Frequently searching for the “why” of things, people, and myself
– Went to World Cup 2006 and produced WorldCupBlog.org while there for 7 weeks.
– Co-Produced a Son in 2010.
– Co-Produced identical daughters in 2012
– I’ve spent large parts of the North America Winter in 2011 and 2012 in Ohope, New Zealand (Living and Working)
– EO Portland member since 2006
– YPO Member from 2014 to 2019
I live in Snowden, Washington (since 2010)
Some Videos and Podcasts that I am in
Reversing Climate Change with Nori
Rolf Potts and I discuss how travel has changed over the past 2 decades
Zero to Travel Podcast
Trekking in Nepal (2008)
BootsnAll YouTube Account